We are currently searching for an Individual Tax Practice Leader to join our team.
The Individual Tax Practice Leader is responsible for tax planning, compliance, consulting, project/task management, engagement management, supervision of staff and managers, and ongoing staff development for the Individual Tax Practice. Responsible for the efficient and accurate, complete and timely preparation of all clients’ tax returns.
The ideal candidate will develop a thorough understanding of all tax, audit and consulting services provided by the Firm, links this understanding to potential client needs, and identifies opportunities to expand the scope of current engagements through identification of client needs and requirements. Develops long-term relationships, networks both internally and externally and generates new business opportunities.
This position could be located in NEO or in our Tampa, FL office.
- Demonstrates thorough abilities and/or a proven track record of success as a team leader.
- Monitors accounting and tax industry trends and evaluates threats and opportunities for the individual tax practice.
- Experimentation with automation & digitization in a professional services environment including but not limited to: innovation through new and existing technologies.
- Manages utilization and realization of self and staff.
- Manages engagement efficiently by timely assignment, supervision and review of work; conducts timely billing on all engagements for which he/she is responsible.
- As a technical tax professional, this person must demonstrate the ability to research business and industry trends to develop a point of view to leverage in assisting with proposals, considering opportunities across multiple lines of service.
- Participates actively in client meetings and tax planning efforts.
- Acts as a resource for tax preparers/specialists and A&A staff on specific tax issues and/or questions.
- Assumes responsibility for smooth flow of tax returns through the tax preparation system to ensure accurate, complete and timely preparation and delivery of all clients’ tax returns.
- Serves as the Engagement Lead on specific client accounts, taking responsibility for pre-engagement planning, execution and final deliverable development.
- Develops the engagement work plan, illustrates budgets and schedule, monitors project status, manages tax compliance process, schedules staff and delivers work product on time and within budget.
- Works on multi-disciplinary teams and has direct contact with clients and targets to identify issues and opportunities, formulate a value proposition, and secure engagements.
- Generates new business opportunities.
- Demonstrates extensive technical skills in all areas within individual taxation.
- Communicates to the appropriate Firm personnel important tax developments affecting the Firm’s clients.
- Possesses a complete knowledge of the Firm’s philosophy and its opinions on tax matters.
- Maintains knowledge of general economic and political trends of possible tax or other legislation that could affect the business climate.
- Makes effective use of firm resources to complete a project and manage multiple client projects.
- Reviews, organizes and maintains engagement work papers and files.
- Develops a professional relationship with the client, serves as the main point-of-contact to the client, and ensures that the client is fully informed of engagement progress.
- Maintains a familiarity with qualifications of all tax staff members; reviews staff assignments for appropriateness, continually assessing the proper number of staff at each level.
- Works to develop responsible, trained staff by assisting recruiting, performance evaluations, developing training aids, and acting as an instructor in professional development programs.
- Manages practice budgets and production goals.
- Responsible for the profit and loss of the practice.
- Manage the relationship and budget with the firm’s outsourced tax preparation partner, leveraging the best resource in an effort to minimize cost without sacrificing quality.
- Supervises, trains and develops staff, as well as provides training to outsourced partner.
Education & Experience Required:
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in accounting and/or other appropriate academic major required. Master’s degree in Taxation or equivalent experience.
- Current and valid CPA license required. Member in good standing with AICPA required.
- Proficiency with MS Office suite of products as well as tax preparation, compliance & research software.
- Well-developed management and supervisory skills are required, prior relationship with outsourced partner preferred.
- 7+ years of experience in public accounting, demonstrating a proven progression in individual tax return complexity, scope and research.
- Excellent project management, tax research and writing skills.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills.
- Dedication to teamwork, leadership and innovation.
- Integrity within a professional environment.
- Reviews other reports and projects as requested.
- Researches and evaluates tax preparation and tax research software for recommendation to Partners.
- Participates in the Firm’s practice development efforts through involvement with referral sources, community and industry activities.
- Frequent same day travel for work at client’s offices, meetings and seminars using a personal vehicle.
- Occasional out-of-town travel with overnight stay for work at clients, meetings or seminars using personal vehicle.
- Occasional overtime work required throughout the year. Heavy overtime work required from January to April 15; may be in excess of 55 hours per week.
Only applicants of interest will be contacted.