We are currently searching for a Senior Manager to join our Tax Department.
The Senior Manager in Tax is responsible for tax compliance, tax consulting, project/task management, engagement management, supervision of staff and tax manager on engagements that they lead and ongoing staff development. Responsible for the efficient and accurate, complete and timely preparation of all clients’ tax returns. Develops a thorough understanding of all tax, audit and consulting services provided by the firm, links this understanding to potential client needs, identifies opportunities to expand the scope of current engagements through identification of client needs and requirements. Develops long-term relationships, networks both internally and externally, and generates new business opportunities.
- Manages utilization and realization of self and staff.
- Manages engagement efficiently by timely assignment, supervision and review of work; conducts timely billing on all engagements for which he/she is responsible.
- Assumes full responsibility for larger, more complicated tax returns and delegates to the various tax preparers as deemed necessary.
- Participates actively in client meetings and tax planning efforts to assist the Auditing & Accounting department with larger, more complicated/specialized clients.
- Acts as a resource for tax preparers/specialists and A&A staff on specific tax issues and/or questions.
- Works directly with partners and clients to ensure tax and accounting engagements are completed in an accurate and timely manner.
- Assumes responsibility for smooth flow of tax returns through the tax preparation system to ensure accurate, complete and timely preparation and delivery of all clients’ tax returns.
- Delegates and manages governmental tax examinations; may represent the client before the appropriate tax authorities.
- Serves as the Engagement Lead on specific client accounts, taking responsibility for pre-engagement planning, execution and final deliverable development.
- Develops the engagement work plan, illustrates budgets and schedule, monitors project status, manages tax compliance process, schedules staff and delivers work product on time and within budget.
- Works on multi-disciplinary teams and has direct contact with clients and targets to identify issues and opportunities, formulate a value proposition, and secure engagements.
- Generates new business opportunities.
- Performs technical tax review and approval of all tax returns and governmental tax examinations of any complexity.
- Researches tax issues and filing requirements that affect tax compliance.
- Researches complex tax issues and performs tax structuring and modeling.
- Communicates to the appropriate firm personnel important tax developments affecting the firm’s clients.
- Works with partners to develop practical and effective tax strategies for clients.
- Possesses a complete knowledge of the firm’s philosophy and its opinions on tax matters.
- Maintains knowledge of general economic and political trends of possible tax or other legislation that could affect the business climate.
- Makes effective use of firm resources to complete a project and manage multiple client projects.
- Prepares, organizes and maintains engagement work papers and files.
- Develops a professional relationship with the client and serves as the main point-of-contact to the client and ensures that the client is fully informed of engagement progress.
- Maintains a familiarity with qualifications of all tax staff members; reviews staff assignments for appropriateness.
- Works to develop responsible, trained staff by assisting recruiting, performance evaluations, developing training aids and acting as an instructor in professional development programs.
- Supervises, trains and develops staff.
Education and Experience Required:
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in accounting and/or other appropriate academic major required. Master’s degree in Taxation or equivalent experience.
- Current and valid CPA license required.
- Member in good standing with AICPA required.
- Proficiency with MS Office suite of products as well as tax preparation, compliance & research software.
- Minimum of seven (7) years of experience in public accounting, demonstrating a proven progression in tax return complexity, scope and research.
- At least two years’ experience representing clients before taxing authorities.
- At least two years’ experience supervising and directing the work of others
- Excellent project management, tax research and writing skills.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills.
- Dedication to teamwork and leadership.
- Advanced technical skills in a variety of tax and accounting areas, along with well-developed and applied management and supervisory skills are required.
- Integrity within a professional environment.
- Prepares other reports and projects as requested.
- Researches and evaluates tax preparation and tax research software for recommendation to partners.
- Participates in the firm’s practice development efforts through involvement with referral sources, community and industry activities.
- Frequent same day travel for work at client’s offices, meetings and seminars using a personal vehicle.
- Occasional out-of-town travel with overnight stay for work at clients, meetings or seminars using personal vehicle.
- Occasional overtime work required throughout the year. Heavy overtime work required from January to April 15; may be in excess of 55 hours per week.
Only applicants of interest will be contacted.
The Company is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment, in accordance with the requirements of all applicable laws, including race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, marital status, military status, sexual orientation, disability, or medical condition.